Cowboy Caviar! ????
Food Prep Fri-Yay! ????
I usually food prep on Sunday, but if I wait to post this you won’t have time to buy the ingredients for your Superbowl party… so, we improvise. ????
This has got to be the most versatile salad ever. Not only a great midweek meal, but also fantastic for game day.
COWBOY CAVIAR! ????
- 2 cans of S&W Black Beans [rinsed & drained]
- 1 can of S&W Pinto Beans [rinsed & drained]
- 1 can of corn [rinsed & drained]
- 1 ½ cups of cherry tomatoes [chopped]
- 2 bell peppers [chopped]
- ¾ cup of [chopped] onion
- 1 cup of [chopped] cilantro
- 1-2 jalapeños [ribs removed, seeded and finely chopped]
- 1 avocado [cubed]
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Juice of one lime
- 3 cloves of garlic [chopped]
- 1 teaspoon of salt, to taste
- 1 tsp of cumin (or your favorite taco seasoning)
- 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, to taste
⓵ In a large serving bowl, mix together all the Cowboy Caviar ingredients [except for the avocado].
⓶ In a separate bowl, mix together all the dressing ingredients.
⓷ Pour the dressing over the salad and let the mixture marinate for about 30 minutes.
⓸ Right before serving, add in the avocado —YUM!
Different Ways To Enjoy It:
- On its own with a few chips.
- On top of a green salad, as a big protein and fiber boost.
- Healthy nachos! I slice bell peppers into scoops and arrange on a platter. Top the pepper ‘chips’ with the caviar & add a dollop of guac & salsa.
So, why do I love this recipe SO much? ❤️ Well, beans have both soluble and insoluble fiber [which can help balance blood sugar, remove bad cholesterol & help prevent heart disease]. Due to the high fiber content, you’ll stay fuller longer, meaning you can avoid the late-night grazing or mid-afternoon munchies.
Key point: I try to include beans in my diet at least 3 days per week. ????